- Suspect was plotting a terrorist strike ‘somewhere in Belgium’
- Arrest follows house searches in Mons and Liege, no arms found
Belgian prosecutors charged a man with attempting to commit a terrorist murder, hours after saying he’d been arrested for planning an attack “somewhere in Belgium.”
The federal prosecutors’ office said the 23-year-old, identified only as Nourredine H., had also been charged with participating in the activities of a terrorist organization and placed into custody, according to an e-mailed statement. His brother, who it said earlier had been arrested with him, was released without charge.
Authorities gave no details on the man’s plans. Brussels continues to be on the second-highest state of alert following attacks in March, with soldiers patrolling train stations and busy shopping areas.
Prosecutors said earlier they’d arrested the two men after a police search of houses in Mons and Liege on Friday. No weapons or explosives were found and there’s no link to the March 22 assaults where three suicide bombers killed 32 people at a Brussels metro station and at Brussels Zaventem airport, they said.