Militia loyal to Mozambique’s largest opposition party, Renamo, killed seven people in the past two weeks and injured another 18 in violence in the central part of the southeastern African nation, a police spokesman said.
Among the victims is a Filipino national, police spokesman Inacio Dina told reporters on Saturday, without giving details. Renamo’s spokesman, Antonio Muchanga, declined to comment on military attacks.
A joint commission between President Filipe Nyusi and Renamo leader Afonso Dhlakama is scheduled to meet Monday to prepare the terms of reference for the resumption of talks aimed at ending conflict in the coal-producing country.
Conflict in Mozambique since Renamo resumed an insurgency in 2013 has left at least 307 people dead, according to data collated by the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project. ACLED, as it’s known, is run by the University of Sussex in the U.K. and draws statistics from reports by the media, humanitarian agencies and other groups. Earlier this month, local reporters found 13 corpses in Manica, where security forces had fought with members of Renamo.
Frequent clashes risk disrupting the country’s development of gas deposits big enough to make Mozambique the world’s third-largest supplier of gas chilled to liquid.