International Red Cross Says Three Workers Abducted in Congo

The International Committee of the Red Cross said three of its staff were abducted in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

“We’re doing everything we can to bring them back home safely,” Dominik Stillhart, operations director with the charity, said late Tuesday on his Twitter account.

Members of the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda, a militant group based in eastern Congo, may have carried out the kidnappings, Justin Mukanya, an administrator from Rutshuru in North Kivu province, said by phone.

Eastern Congo is home to dozens of armed groups. Last month three Congolese employees of Save the Children were abducted by members of the Allied Democratic Forces in Lubero-North Kivu province and held hostage for seven days.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. LEARN MORE