Nigeria Says Recent Boko Haram Attacks Not Sign of Resurgence

Boko Haram’s recent attacks in Nigeria don’t signal a resurgence by the Islamist militant group, Information Minister Lai Mohammed said.

“After an insurgency has been degraded it is often followed by an upsurge of terror attacks in the form of suicide bombing,” he told reporters in the capital, Abuja, on Tuesday. “There is often apprehension that terrorism is getting worse, even though, in reality, insurgency has been weakened.”

At least 58 people were killed when two suicide bombers detonated explosives at a camp for displaced people in the northeast Nigerian town of Dikwa last week, according to the country’s emergency agency.

President Muhammadu Buhari said in December that the armed forces had technically won the war against the insurgents, and that Boko Haram can no longer launch conventional attacks.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. LEARN MORE