- More than 100 people injured in gun and suicide-bomb attack
- President said last month Boko Haram was technically defeated
At least 65 people were killed in gun attacks and suicide bombings by Boko Haram Islamists in the northeastern Nigerian village of Dalori on Saturday, according to a pro-government militia member and emergency workers.
More than 100 people were injured as the insurgents targeted a camp for displaced people in the area, Hassan Ibrahim, a member of a youth vigilante group that fights alongside the Nigerian army, said by phone. The death toll may rise after emergency workers finish sorting the casualties, according to Mohammed Kanar, the National Emergency Management Agency’s northeast coordinator.
“We are still compiling the figures,” Kanar said by phone today from Maiduguri.
Boko Haram has killed thousands of people and displaced more than 2 million Nigerians in a seven-year campaign to establish its version of Islamic law in Africa’s biggest economy and top oil producer. The group was beaten back from territories it held early last year but continues to carry out suicide bombings and hit-and-run attacks on soft targets such as markets and bus terminals.
President Muhammadu Buhari said last month that the armed forces had technically won the war against the insurgents, and that Boko Haram can’t launch conventional attacks anymore.