Sierra Leone Reports 2nd Ebola Case After Epidemic Declared Over

Sierra Leone recorded its second case of Ebola since health officials in November declared the end to an outbreak that killed more than 3,500 people in the West African nation.

A 38-year-old woman is being treated at a military hospital in the capital, Freetown, Sidie Tunis, a health ministry spokesperson, said by phone on Thursday. The patient had been in contact with a woman who died of Ebola last week, said Tunis.

A two-year outbreak of the disease left 11,300 people dead and infected 28,500, affecting mainly Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia.

The World Health Organization said on Jan. 14 that, with the end of the epidemic in Liberia, transmission had been stopped in West Africa, although it expected "flare-ups" that would require vigilant surveillance in the coming months.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. LEARN MORE