- `Full' revenue from smartphone games delayed to FY3/18: SMBC
- Expectation for 3DS sales volume reduced, SMBC says in note
Nintendo Co. fell the most in two months in Tokyo trading after SMBC Nikko Securities Inc. cut its recommendation and said it now expects the company’s entry into smartphone games won’t make full contributions to revenue until the year ending March 2018.
The video game maker’s shares dropped 7.6 percent as of the close in Tokyo, the biggest decline since Oct. 29. The benchmark Topix index fell 1.1 percent.
Operating income for the fiscal year starting April 1 will probably be about 30 billion yen ($253 million), less than half the previous estimate, because of reduced sales volume for the 3DS handheld player and revised assumptions about smartphone games, Eiji Maeda, an analyst at SMBC Nikko, wrote in a report released Tuesday. He lowered his rating on the shares to underperform from neutral.
Nintendo has previously delayed the debut of its joint project with online games platform operator DeNA Co. While the company owns intellectual property including Mario and Zelda, the first game will be a free-to-play messaging-based application called Miitomo, which will have “few in game charges,” Maeda wrote.
Nintendo shares rose 33 percent last year, fueled by its March announcement that the company was entering the smartphone game market. Earlier in 2015, the stock was up as much as 80 percent before the smartphone delays raised doubts about its ability to compete in the fast-moving, competitive market for free-to-play games.