• Prosecutors say they let go last three held for questioning
  • Brussels canceled New Year's fireworks over fear of attack

Belgian federal prosecutors said they released three people held since Thursday in connection to threats of a possible terrorist attack in Brussels on New Year’s Eve.

Brussels canceled its New Year’s Eve fireworks display and other festivities after authorities said earlier this week they’d uncovered “serious threats” of a holiday terrorist attack. Police arrested two people on Tuesday suspected of planning an assault targeting crowds.

Police took another six people in for questioning after raids across the city on Thursday. Three were released the same day and the remaining three were held overnight and released Friday, prosecutors said in an e-mailed statement. They said they didn’t plan to give any further details.

The government raised the threat level in Brussels to a “4” last month -- an indication that an attack was “serious and imminent” -- after the Nov. 13 terrorist assaults in Paris that left 130 people dead. Schools, shopping centers and the subway network were shut and people were told to avoid large gatherings. That threat level was lowered on Nov. 26.

Belgium has separately charged 10 suspects with complicity in the Nov. 13 terrorist attacks in Paris.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. LEARN MORE