At least six people were killed in central Somalia in fresh fighting between forces loyal to the Galmudug and Puntland administrations, less than 24 hours after they agreed on a cease-fire over a territorial dispute.
The six civilians were killed and eight others injured in the crossfire during clashes that erupted mid-Thursday in the central city of Galkayo, Nuro Hassan, a paramedic at the main hospital, said by phone.
Galmudug Security Minister Osman Isse Nur said Puntland forces had violated the cease-fire deal by attacking with tanks and shelling when his forces were withdrawing from the front line as agreed. Puntland officials didn’t answer calls seeking comment.
Fighting that flared last week over who controls parts of Galkayo has forced about 40,000 people to flee their homes, according to the United Nations. The city is divided, with one part governed by Puntland and the other by the Galmudug administration.