- Vigilance level has increased since January: French oil major
- EDF cancels public visits to sites during three-day period
Total SA has stepped up security measures after terrorist attacks last week left more than 129 dead in Paris.
“Enhanced precautionary measures have been taken,” Patrick Pouyanne, chief executive officer of the French oil company, wrote to employees on Monday in an internal memo that was obtained by Bloomberg News. “You are all asked to be even more vigilant and to alert your local teams of any unusual situations.”
France has declared a three-month state of emergency after terrorist attacks carried out by Islamic State militants hit a concert venue, a football stadium as well as bars and restaurants in or near the French capital on Nov. 13. The carnage left at least 129 people dead and 352 wounded.
Friday’s attacks came only 10 months after terrorists killed staff members of the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo as well as shoppers at a kosher supermarket in Paris. Seventeen people were killed then.
“The level of heightened vigilance that has been in place since January 2015 has been strengthened on our sites,” a spokesman for Total said by e-mail. “The level of security and safety of individuals and of our facilities across the world are our first concern.”
Total isn’t the only French energy company to have boosted security measures.
Electricite de France SA canceled all visits by the public or gatherings on its sites during the three days of mourning declared by the French state, a company spokesman said.
The operator of France’s nuclear power stations said its retail stores in the region of Paris -- the Ile-de-France -- were kept closed on Saturday, the day after the attacks. The level of security at EDF sites in Ile-de-France has been at the highest level since January, the company said.