Ugandan Army Says 12 Troops Killed in Sept. 1 Somalia Attack

Uganda’s army said 12 of its troops were killed in an attack by Islamist militants on an African Union military base in southern Somalia earlier this week.

The bodies of 10 of those killed in the Sept. 1 assault are being returned to Uganda on Thursday morning, with two others to follow, military spokesman Paddy Ankunda said on his Twitter account. The African Union Mission in Somalia “has accounted for all its soldiers” and none are missing in action, he said.

Fighters from the al-Shabaab insurgent group raided the base at Janaale, about 75 kilometers (46 miles) southwest of the capital, Mogadishu. Agence France-Presse reported Wednesday that at least 50 Ugandan soldiers had died, citing unidentified Western military officials.

“Western sources on fatalities in Somalia wrong,” Ankunda said. Uganda’s army “has done the head count, let the speculation stop.”

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. LEARN MORE