- Fighting has taken place in oil-rich Upper Nile state capital
- Deal signed last month came after multiple truce violations
A cease-fire in South Sudan agreed last month under the threat of an United Nations arms embargo and sanctions was breached on Wednesday when two helicopters fired on the state capital of oil-rich Upper Nile.
There was also fighting inside Malakal, said the UN secretary-general’s spokesman, Stephane Dujarric, according to an e-mailed transcript of remarks he made on Thursday in New York.
South Sudan President Salva Kiir on Aug. 29 signed a deal brokered by regional governments to stop fighting and share power with a group of rebels led by his former deputy Riek Machar, who had agreed to the terms a week earlier.
The truce was meant to end about 20 months of fighting that has left tens of thousands of people dead, forced more than 2 million people from their homes and slashed oil production, which the government relies on for almost all of its revenue.
Rebel military spokesman William Gatjiath Deng said in an e-mailed statement that positions near Malakal were attacked by military helicopters. Presidential spokesman Ateny Wek Ateny didn’t answer his phone when Bloomberg called for comment.
The warring parties have violated several cease-fires since the first truce was agreed to in January 2014.