Gunfire Rocks Burundi's Capital for Second Consecutive Night

Gunfire and explosions rocked Burundi’s capital, Bujumbura, for a second consecutive night as unrest continues to roil the East African nation after President Pierre Nkurunziza’s re-election.

Police officers deployed and searched homes in the city’s Cibitoke district on Thursday morning. The body of a young man was found river near the area, Ndayisaba Elie, a local resident, said in an interview. Gunfire and blasts were also heard in Bujumbura’s Jabe and Musaga districts.

Police spokesman Pierre Nkurikiye didn’t answer calls seeking comment. In an address on national television on Sept. 1, he said 15 people had been arrested in restive areas of the capital and that military uniforms and a rifle were seized.

Unrest in Burundi, spurred by Nkurunziza’s successful re-election bid, has left at least 90 people dead since April and driven 180,000 others to seek refuge in countries in the region. Opponents say Nkurunziza’s July re-election violates a two-term limit set out in peace accords that ended a 12-year civil war in 2005.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. LEARN MORE