Mozambique Opposition Suspends Government Talks, O Pais Says

Mozambique’s main opposition party has suspended regular Monday talks it holds with the government of the gas-rich southern African country amid reports its armed wing clashed with police at the weekend, O Pais newspaper said.

The meetings have been held in Maputo, the capital, since 2013 and led in September last year to a peace agreement between the Mozambican National Resistance, or Renamo, and the ruling Front for the Liberation of Mozambique, or Frelimo. While Renamo ended a 15-year civil war with Frelimo in 1992, its fighters resumed attacks on government positions in 2012.

Party leader Afonso Dhlakama told supporters the opposition group would no longer hold the talks because Frelimo “doesn’t want Renamo to take part in the government of this country,” privately owned O Pais quoted him as saying.

Mozambique has enough reserves to become the third-largest supplier of gas chilled to liquid for export during the next decade, according to Anadarko Petroleum Corp.

Armed men suspected of being from Renamo attacked a police column in the northwestern province of Tete on Aug. 22, O Pais said. No police were killed in the incident, state-owned newspaper Noticias said.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. LEARN MORE