Toyota Motor Corp. extended the shutdown at its biggest source of production in China and said another plant will lose output due to last week’s explosions in the city of Tianjin.
The inability to confirm the safety of the area near the explosion site will keep Tianjin FAW Toyota Motor Co. from resuming production this week, Nicholas Maxfield, a Toyota spokesman, said in an e-mail. A separate RAV4 plant in Changchun, northern China, will suspend output Thursday and Friday due to delays in parts shipment.
Toyota has emerged as one of the hardest-hit carmakers by the blasts at a warehouse holding toxic material in Tianjin, which killed at least 114 people and injured 67 Toyota employees living in the surrounding area. Almost half of the company’s vehicle output in China last year were Crown, Reiz, Corolla and Vios cars built by Tianjin FAW Toyota.
The disaster took a broader toll on the auto industry, damaging 2,700 Volkswagen AG cars and shutting a nearby Hyundai Motor Co. logistics center. Toyota said it will restart RAV4 output at the Changchun plant on Saturday and arrange two substitute days this month to make up for this week’s lost production of the model.