Serbia’s government has no immediate plans to sell the Drzavna Lutrija Srbije, awaiting results of a probe into whether a lotto draw last month had been rigged.
“There have been no discussions yet about the privatization of the lottery,” Serbian Telecommunications Minister Rasim Ljajic told reporters in Belgrade on Tuesday. “The institutions should investigate the whole case,” while “the lottery should be profitable, whether it remains in state hands or is privatized.”
Aleksandar Vulovic, the head of the lottery operator, resigned on July 30, according to the company, after a July 28 draw, when a winning number appeared on the screen before the ball was drawn. A police investigation found one of the balls was damaged and results of the forensic probe will be submitted to the prosecutor by Tuesday, Tanjug news agency reported, citing Interior Minister Nebojsa Stefanovic.
Police seized equipment and questioned 11 people, including a TV presenter, who took part in the draw. Vulovic said there were no irregularities.
The state-owned operator reported a 202 million-dinar ($1.85 million) net income in 2013, according to latest available figures published by the Business Registers Agency.