International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach said he expects the U.S. to return with a “strong” bid city for the 2024 Games after original candidate Boston quit because of lack of local support.
Boston was removed as the American choice for a Summer Olympics host because of opposition from residents and city officials including the mayor.
The U.S. Olympic Committee is exploring whether another city can replace Boston as a possible host. The IOC set a deadline of Sept. 15 for Olympic committees to submit their candidates.
“We are confident that USOC will choose the most appropriate city for a strong U.S. bid,” Bach said today in an e-mailed statement.
The USOC and Boston 2024 organizing committee made the joint decision to withdraw the bid on Monday after consulting Mayor Marty Walsh and Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker. Boston had been selected by the USOC in January over Washington, San Francisco and Los Angeles, which hosted the games in 1932 and 1984.
Bostonians have been divided on the merits of becoming an Olympic host since the city was chosen. Local opposition has grown on concern taxpayers will be burdened with the cost of staging the event. The percentage of people in Boston who oppose the bid has risen to 53 percent from 33 percent in January, website Inside the Games reported Monday.
Other cities to have declared they will bid for the 2024 Games are Budapest, Hamburg, Paris and Rome. Azerbaijan capital city Baku and Toronto are also considering bidding, Inside the Games said.
The USOC may now back Los Angeles as a possible 2024 host city, Inside the Games reported. The U.S. hasn’t hosted a Summer Olympics since 1996 in Atlanta.