A miner who was injured in 2012 during violence that left at least 44 people dead at Lonmin Plc’s Marikana mine in South Africa intends to demand the release of findings of a commission that investigated the incident.
A notice of motion to the High Court of Pretoria, filed Monday, showed Mzoxolo Magidiwana and the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union will on June 8 apply for an order to release the report of the Marikana Commission of Inquiry, called by South African President Jacob Zuma.
The presidency initiated the probe into the Aug. 16, 2012 killing of 34 protesting workers at the mine, the deadliest police action in South Africa since the end of apartheid. Ten more people, including police, died in earlier violence. The events took place around the mine that’s about 100 kilometers (62 miles) northwest of Johannesburg. Zuma and the Marikana Commission are named as respondents in the notice filed by Nkome Inc., a law firm representing the victims.
The inquiry, known as the Farlam Commission, finished its final session of hearings in November, more than two years after the incident. South Africa’s presidency received the commission’s report on March 31. The president said last month that he would release the findings before the end of June.
The president and commission “are taking an unreasonably long time, in the prevailing circumstances, to process the report before releasing it to the public,” the union and Magidiwana, who is a Lonmin employee previously appointed as a representative of 300 people involved in the incident, said in the papers.