Wimbledon Reviewing Security After French Open on Court Incident

Officials at Roland Garros apologized to the 17-time Grand Slam champion after the teenager tried to take a selfie on the Court Philippe Chatrier following Federer’s first-round win.

Officials at Roland Garros apologized to the 17-time Grand Slam champion after the teenager tried to take a selfie on the Court Philippe Chatrier following Federer’s first-round win.

Source: AP Photo
  • Fan approached Federer on court Sunday to take photo
  • ‘No change' to all-white clothing rule after Federer criticism

The All England Club, organizers of the Wimbledon Championships, is reviewing its security arrangements after a fan managed to get on the main show court at the French Open with Roger Federer on Sunday.

Officials at Roland Garros apologized to the 17-time Grand Slam champion after the teenager tried to take a selfie on the Court Philippe Chatrier following Federer’s first-round win. It took security guards about six seconds to apprehend the fan, who has since been banned from the tournament. The Swiss player criticized tournament organizers afterward.

“The safety and security of all our visitors is of the utmost importance,” Wimbledon spokesman Johnny Perkins said in an e-mail, when asked if the club was reviewing its security arrangements following the incident. “We work closely with the police throughout the year and are always reviewing our plans to take into account the latest situations.”
Wimbledon starts June 29 in London.

After his opening round, Federer also criticized Wimbledon organizers for their all-white clothing rule, saying they had become “ridiculously strict.”
“There has been no change in the clothing rules from last year,” Perkins said.


Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. LEARN MORE