July 16 (Bloomberg) -- Microsoft Corp. started taking requests from people in Europe who want its Bing search engine to hide results from searches on their names, more than two months after a court created a “right to be forgotten.”
Microsoft’s online form went live in Europe today to comply with the European Union’s Court of Justice ruling, Robin Koch, a spokesman for the company in Brussels, said by phone. The company will “continue to work out the details of the process we’ll use to evaluate the requests,” Koch said in an e-mail.
Google was ordered by the EU’s top court in May to respond to people seeking details to be removed from its search engine. Google’s online form went online at the end of May. The world’s largest search provider got 70,000 take-down requests covering 250,000 requests, its legal chief said last week.
Bing trails Google, which has a market share for search “well above 90 percent in most European countries,” the European Commission said last year.
To contact the reporter on this story: Aoife White in Brussels at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editors responsible for this story: Anthony Aarons at email@example.com Peter Chapman, Thomas Mulier