Kings Top Rangers 3-0 to Lead Three Games to None in Stanley Cup

Jonathan Quick stopped 32 shots for his ninth career playoff shutout and the Los Angeles Kings won 3-0 at the New York Rangers to move within one victory of capturing their second Stanley Cup championship in three years.

Jeff Carter, Jake Muzzin and Mike Richards scored for the Kings, who hold a three-games-to-none lead in the best-of-seven Stanley Cup finals after winning a pair of overtime games in Los Angeles. Game 4 in the National Hockey League’s championship series is June 11 in New York.

The Rangers outshot the Kings 32-15 but could not get the puck past the 28-year-old Quick, who grew up in Milford, Connecticut, about 70 miles (113 kilometers) northeast of the Rangers’ home at Madison Square Garden.

“That was his best game of the series,” Kings coach Darryl Sutter said in a news conference. “It’s not the final game or anything like that. Just a solid road game.”

New York has not scored since the second period of Game 2 on June 7, a span of 115 minutes, 36 seconds of game time. The Kings have outscored the Rangers 6-0 in that span, including two overtime periods in Game 2.

Carter opened the scoring with less than a second left in the first period when he flipped a wrist shot past Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist just before the horn sounded to end the period. It was Carter’s 10th goal of the 2014 playoffs.

The Kings made it 2-0 about four minutes into the second period on a power-play goal by defenseman Muzzin. Los Angeles built its lead to 3-0 with less than three minutes left in the period when Richards tried to pass the puck across the goal mouth, only to have it deflect off Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh and right back to Richards with an open net.

Scoreboard Malfunction

Fans at the Rangers’ first home Stanley Cup finals game in 20 years also experienced a scoreboard malfunction for the first 17 minutes of the first period.

The clock and score on the arena’s video screens worked properly, but slots for statistics such as shots, faceoffs and hits remained blank.

The malfunction came four days after the air conditioning broke down at the AT&T Center in San Antonio for Game 1 of the National Basketball Association Finals between the host Spurs and the Miami Heat.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. LEARN MORE