South African President Jacob Zuma will decide if National Prosecuting Authority head Mxolisi Nxasana should keep his post following media reports that he failed a security clearance, Justice Minister Michael Masutha said.
Nxasana stood trial for murder in 1985 and was acquitted on the grounds of self defense, the Star newspaper reported on May 30. Nxasana, who was asked by former Justice Minister Jeff Radebe to quit, also admitted to being detained for reckless driving and resisting arrest last year, the Johannesburg-based newspaper said. Nxasana has declined to comment.
“The decision has not yet been taken on the appropriate course of action” and Nxasana remains in his post for now, Masutha told reporters today in the capital, Pretoria. The fact that Zuma has been on sick leave “has not been helpful in expediting the matter.”
Zuma, who appointed Nxasana as the national director of public prosecutions in October, was discharged from the hospital late yesterday, after undergoing a routine checkup for two days, according to the Presidency.