June 5 (Bloomberg) -- European Union antitrust regulators cleared a bid by Holcim Ltd., the world’s biggest cement maker, for Cemex SAB’s western German plants plus sites in France and Netherlands.
The European Commission’s probe “found that the merged entity will continue to face competition from a number of competitors,” the regulator said today in an e-mailed statement. The transaction is “unlikely” to result in making any potential coordination easier to a degree that would raise competition concerns, the commission said.
The EU regulator, after opening an in-depth probe last year, didn’t demand any concessions from the companies. Holcim and Cemex didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.
The EU clearance comes after Holcim and Lafarge SA announced plans to create the world’s biggest cement maker. Holcim faces another in-depth probe from European regulators over the sale of Spanish assets to Cemex.
To contact the reporter on this story: Gaspard Sebag in Brussels at email@example.com
To contact the editors responsible for this story: Anthony Aarons at firstname.lastname@example.org Peter Chapman, Simon Thiel