(Corrects story first published on April 15 after Grain Information Service says corn was bought from Ukraine and not Russia.)
Imports were for wk ended April 11, Pretoria-based South African Grain Information Service says in statement published on website.
- Nation imports no white corn in wk
- Country exports 2,402mt yellow corn to neighboring nations; sends 15,251mt white corn; 4,215mt wheat
- South Africa imported 45,470mt wheat last wk, most since wk ended Feb. 14; cereal came from Australia, Germany, Latvia
- NOTE: South Africa is continent’s biggest corn producer; cornmeal made from white variety is used to make staple food known as pap, while yellow type is used as animal feed
- NOTE: Nation is sub-Saharan Africa’s biggest producer of wheat after Ethiopia, region’s biggest importer after Nigeria, Sudan, acc. to U.S. Dept of Agriculture data