T-Mobile US Inc. Chief Executive Officer John Legere, who was thrown out of an AT&T Inc. party featuring Macklemore earlier this month, will finally get to see the rapper perform.
The Bellevue, Washington-based company will host a concert by Macklemore and collaborator Ryan Lewis in Los Angeles on Jan. 23, according to a statement today. Fans will be able to buy tickets to the show starting tomorrow.
Legere, who portrays himself as a renegade of the wireless industry, was escorted out of an AT&T party at the International Consumer Electronics Show last week. At the time, he said he was only there to see Macklemore perform. The incident followed more than a year of antagonism between AT&T and Legere, who has called the competitor’s network “crap.” He has branded T-Mobile as the “un-carrier” because it dispensed with the industry’s long-term contract agreements.
“My appreciation for Macklemore and Ryan Lewis seems to be the worst kept secret in the social hemisphere,” Legere said in today’s statement. “Their ability to shake things up and keep it real for their fans is a lot like the un-carrier moves we’ve been making in the wireless world.”
The incident gained attention after Legere went on Twitter and rallied supporters. He retweeted off-color remarks from followers and told the technology site Re/Code that he would rather cut prices on wireless service than spend money on a lavish party.
Later that week Legere introduced a plan to pay the early-termination fees of AT&T, Verizon Wireless and Sprint Corp. customers if they agreed to switch to T-Mobile. The company accompanied the promotion with a Facebook app that lets people send a breakup letter to their old carrier.
After announcing the Los Angeles concert today, Legere invited AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson to the show in a Twitter post. The catch: Stephenson has to send a breakup letter to his own company.
Mark Siegel, a spokesman for Dallas-based AT&T, didn’t have an immediate comment.