Jan. 16 (Bloomberg) -- Neiman Marcus Group Ltd. said it has no evidence that customers’ social security numbers, birth dates and personal identification numbers were stolen in the breach of credit card data it disclosed last week.
Online customers don’t appear to have been affected by the breach, Dallas-based Neiman Marcus said today in a statement on its website. The closely held retailer said it will offer free credit-monitoring services to all shoppers who made a credit-card purchase at the company in the last year.
“We have taken and are continuing to take a number of steps to contain the situation, and to help prevent an unlawful intrusion like this from happening again,” Chief Executive Officer Karen Katz said in the statement. “We want you always to feel confident shopping at Neiman Marcus and your trust in us is our absolute priority.”
The luxury retailer is the second chain after Target Corp. to be struck by hackers during the holiday season. Credit-card processors informed Neiman Marcus of the breach in mid-December, and the company said it is working with federal authorities to investigate the matter.
The Wall Street Journal, citing unidentified people familiar with the incident, said fewer than 1 million cards were compromised.
Neiman Marcus was bought last year by Ares Management LLC and the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board from TPG Capital and Warburg Pincus LLC.
To contact the reporter on this story: Lindsey Rupp in New York at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Robin Ajello at firstname.lastname@example.org