Libya’s Zawiya port exported its first crude cargo this month after flows were restored from oilfields that supply the terminal.
The nation, which canceled deliveries from several other ports because of protests by guards, shipped a 700,000-barrel cargo from the terminal yesterday, Mansur Abdullah, the oil movement coordinator at the Zawiya refinery, said by phone today. The shipment is destined for Repsol SA in Spain. A second vessel is loading 800,000 barrels, he said. The port had stopped exporting since Aug. 29, even though it was open for operation.
The oil industry in the North African nation, one of 12 members of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, has seized up amid protests by oil facility guards, with production plunging to 575,000 barrels a day last month, from 1.13 million in June, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. During the unrest Libya declared force majeure at as many as six ports and terminals.
The country’s two most important ports, Es Sider and Ras Lanuf, remained closed today, as were Hariga and Zueitina, according to Ibrahim Al Awami, Director of Inspection and Measurement at Libya’s oil ministry. The terminals and offshore loading platforms of Zawiya, Brega, Mellitah, Al Jurf and Bouri are open and operating, Awami said.
Force majeure is a legal clause excusing a company from meeting its commitments because of events beyond its control.
Separately, Libya’s state-run National Oil Corp. met with U.K. energy company executives yesterday in Tripoli to assure them that security is being stepped up at energy facilities, NOC said in a statement on its website.