Bloomberg the Company & Products

Bloomberg Anywhere Login

Bloomberg

Connecting decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas, Bloomberg quickly and accurately delivers business and financial information, news and insight around the world.

Company

Financial Products

Enterprise Products

Media

Customer Support

  • Americas

    +1 212 318 2000

  • Europe, Middle East, & Africa

    +44 20 7330 7500

  • Asia Pacific

    +65 6212 1000

Communications

Industry Products

Media Services

Follow Us

Tottenham Agrees to Sell Bale for $134 Million: Soccer Roundup

Aug. 26 (Bloomberg) -- The following is a roundup of soccer stories from U.K. newspapers, with clickable Internet links.

Bale Deal Agreed

Gareth Bale is free to join Real Madrid after Tottenham Hotspur agreed to the world-record 100 million-euro ($134 million) sale of the Wales winger, the Daily Telegraph reported.

The agreement involves a straight cash deal with no players moving to Spurs from the Spanish club and an official announcement may be made tomorrow, the newspaper added.

Bale is in Malaga and will travel to Madrid for a medical and to sign a six-year contract said to be worth 8.5 million pounds ($13.2 million) a year before tax, the Telegraph said.

Hulk Bid

Tottenham is preparing a 30 million-pound bid for Zenit St. Petersburg striker Hulk and has 26 million-pound deal in place to sign Roma forward Erik Lamela, the Daily Mirror reported.

Spurs also agreed on a fee of 7.5 million pounds with Steaua Bucharest for defender Vlad Chiriches, resurrecting a move that broke down earlier this month, the Mirror added.

New Cabaye Bid

Arsenal will this week raise its offer for Newcastle United midfielder Yohan Cabaye to 17 million pounds after having a 10 million-pound bid rejected, the Daily Express reported.

If a deal for Cabaye cannot be completed, Arsenal may bid for Real Madrid’s German midfielder Mesut Ozil, who has been made available for about 38 million pounds, the Express added.

Mourinho Blames Moyes

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho said Wayne Rooney’s desire to leave Manchester United is David Moyes’s fault for suggesting the striker would be a second-choice player this season, the Guardian reported.

The Blues remain determined to sign Rooney even after having two bids rejected and will wait until after today’s Premier League match between the teams before making a third offer, the newspaper added.

To contact the reporter on this story: Dan Baynes in Sydney at dbaynes@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Christopher Elser at celser@bloomberg.net

Please upgrade your Browser

Your browser is out-of-date. Please download one of these excellent browsers:

Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera or Internet Explorer.