Bloomberg the Company & Products

Bloomberg Anywhere Login

Bloomberg

Connecting decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas, Bloomberg quickly and accurately delivers business and financial information, news and insight around the world.

Company

Financial Products

Enterprise Products

Media

Customer Support

  • Americas

    +1 212 318 2000

  • Europe, Middle East, & Africa

    +44 20 7330 7500

  • Asia Pacific

    +65 6212 1000

Communications

Industry Products

Media Services

Follow Us

N.Z. Seismologists Study Wellington Quake Risk as City Re-Opens

N.Z. Seismologists Study Wellington Quake Risk as City Re-Opens
A worker repairs broken windows in Wellington following an earthquake on July 21, on July 22, 2013. Photographer: Marty Melville/AFP/Getty Images

July 23 (Bloomberg) -- New Zealand seismologists are trying to determine whether the magnitude 6.5 earthquake that struck Wellington two days ago has increased the chances of a much bigger rupture occurring under the capital city.

The July 21 tremor, which was centered offshore about 57 kilometers (35 miles) south-southwest of Wellington, was New Zealand’s biggest earthquake since a magnitude 6.3 killed 185 people in the South Island city of Christchurch two years ago. It may have transferred some stress onto a larger fault below Wellington that’s capable of releasing quakes of magnitude 8 or greater, GNS Science seismologist John Ristau said.

“It is possible, we have to do more study to get a precise map of the stress pattern,” he said in an interview. “Having said that, the most recent studies found that the probability of a major earthquake along the Wellington fault is actually lower than previously thought.”

Wellington re-opened for business today even as aftershocks from the magnitude 6.5 quake continued to rattle the region. The city was largely closed yesterday after the quake, which hit shortly after 5 p.m. on Sunday evening, threw goods from store shelves, blew out windows and caused people to run screaming from buildings such as movie theaters. Four people were hospitalized with minor injuries. There were no fatalities.

Just 35 of about 2,500 buildings in the central business district sustained damage, Wellington Mayor Celia Wade-Brown said last night. About 12 of them have been cordoned off due to concerns about falling glass and masonry. Some office blocks, including the Precinct Properties New Zealand Ltd.’s HP Tower, remain closed while engineers check their structural soundness.

Statistics New Zealand delayed the release of a minor piece of data today, and canceled a news conference scheduled for tomorrow, citing water damage to its Wellington building.

There is a 7 percent chance of another magnitude 6 or greater earthquake in the region in the next 24 hours, and a 19 percent risk of one hitting over the next seven days, Ristau said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Matthew Brockett in Wellington at mbrockett1@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Matthew Brockett at mbrockett1@bloomberg.net

Please upgrade your Browser

Your browser is out-of-date. Please download one of these excellent browsers:

Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera or Internet Explorer.