Bloomberg the Company & Products

Bloomberg Anywhere Login

Bloomberg

Connecting decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas, Bloomberg quickly and accurately delivers business and financial information, news and insight around the world.

Company

Financial Products

Enterprise Products

Media

Customer Support

  • Americas

    +1 212 318 2000

  • Europe, Middle East, & Africa

    +44 20 7330 7500

  • Asia Pacific

    +65 6212 1000

Communications

Industry Products

Media Services

Follow Us

Odontoprev Rallies in Sao Paulo on Dental Plan Joint Venture

June 11 (Bloomberg) -- Odontoprev SA, a Brazilian dental benefits company, soared the most in two weeks after signing a deal with Banco do Brasil SA and BB Seguridade Participacoes SA to create a joint venture to sell dental plans.

The shares rose 2.9 percent to 9.92 reais at the close in Sao Paulo, the biggest one-day gain since May 28. They surged as much as 9 percent intraday. The benchmark Ibovespa retreated 3 percent.

Odontoprev will have a 25.01 percent stake in the new company, to be named Brasildental Operadora de Planos Odontologicos SA, according to a regulatory filing from the dental benefits company today. Banco do Brasil and its subsidiary will hold the remaining 74.99 percent. About 40 percent to 50 percent of Odontoprev’s six million clients came to the company since 2009 through a partnership with Banco Bradesco SA, Chief Executive Officer Randal Zanetti said.

“The deal with Banco do Brasil has the potential to bring as many clients as the partnership with Bradesco did,” Zanetti said in a phone interview from Sao Paulo.

The main focus of the new venture, Brasildental, will be selling to retail customers and small companies, according to the CEO.

The press offices of Banco do Brasil and BB Seguridade didn’t respond to phone calls seeking comment.

Odontoprev’s profits have trailed analysts’ estimates in six of the past eight quarters, data compiled by Bloomberg show. The shares declined 7.5 percent this year, while the Ibovespa dropped 18 percent.

To contact the reporter on this story: Denyse Godoy in Sao Paulo at dgodoy2@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: David Papadopoulos at papadopoulos@bloomberg.net

Please upgrade your Browser

Your browser is out-of-date. Please download one of these excellent browsers:

Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera or Internet Explorer.