May 30 (Bloomberg) -- A lawyer representing more than two dozen people who say they were sexually abused at the elite Horace Mann School in New York called the school’s decision not to conduct an independent investigation “a cause for further shame.”
School officials issued an apology on May 24 for decades of alleged abuse of students by teachers and administrators without consenting to an inquiry sought by victims. The abuse is alleged to have happened between 1962 and 1996.
“Such institutional deception and ongoing bad faith has served only to exacerbate and reopen the deep anxieties and feelings of those who are the victims and continue to struggle every day to survive the abuse that altered their lives,” Gloria Allred, the lawyer, wrote today in a statement.
Horace Mann, in a statement late today, said Allred “seriously misstates what has transpired.”
The school stands by its May 24 letter and the “good faith actions it has taken in an attempt to help those hurt by former teachers and administrators at Horace Mann School in the 1960s through 1990s, and to make sure these kind of things cannot happen again,” the school said.
Bronx District Attorney Robert T. Johnson said last month the alleged sexual abuse of students took place too long ago to be prosecuted. Horace Mann is located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx.
To contact the reporter on this story: Janet Lorin in New York at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Lisa Wolfson at firstname.lastname@example.org