Anthony Weiner, who resigned from Congress in 2011 after sending salacious images online to women, announced he is running for mayor of New York.
“Look, I made some big mistakes, and I know I let a lot of people down,” Weiner, 48, said in a campaign ad posted on his website. “But I’ve also learned some tough lessons. And I hope I get a second chance to work for you.”
He enters the field polling second among Democratic candidates for the Sept. 10 primary, with about $4.3 million in funds from an abortive 2009 race for mayor. He said in a New York Times magazine profile in April that he might re-enter politics and run to succeed Michael Bloomberg as head of the U.S.’s biggest city.
Weiner trails City Council Speaker Christine Quinn 26 percent to 15 percent, according to an April Marist College poll of Democratic voters. To qualify for the ballot, candidates must collect 3,750 voter signatures on petitions between June 4 and July 11, according to the city Board of Elections.
Other Democratic candidates in the poll included Comptroller John Liu, with 12 percent; Public Advocate Bill de Blasio and former Comptroller William Thompson, tied at 11 percent; and former City Councilman Sal Albanese, with 2 percent. Undecided voters made up 22 percent of respondents. Democrats outnumber Republicans by 6-to-1 in New York City.
Weiner spent 12 years in the House of Representatives before resigning in June 2011 after he admitted to sending inappropriate messages and photos of himself to six women on the Internet. He had previously denied sending a photograph of himself from the waist down in his underwear to a Seattle woman via Twitter, saying his account was hacked.
Weiner hired Daniel Kedem, a former campaign adviser affiliated with the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, Politico reported last week, citing two unidentified people familiar with the situation.
Bloomberg, a political independent who is the founder of Bloomberg News parent Bloomberg LP, won’t run again due to term limits.