May 23 (Bloomberg) -- Gun sellers and owners along with firearms advocacy groups sued the state of Connecticut in seeking to block weapons restrictions enacted after last year’s deadly school shooting.
The plaintiffs, who include an 80-year-old widow, a rabbi whose synagogue was burglarized, the Connecticut Citizens’ Defense League and the Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen, said in their complaint that the new limits on magazines and assault weapons violate the U.S. Constitution. The suit, filed yesterday in federal court Bridgeport, seeks a court order preventing the state from enforcing the measures.
The law “was rushed through the legislature without thorough debate or meaningful public examination,” according to the complaint. “The act irrationally bans pistols, rifles, shotguns and magazines that are commonly used for lawful purposes by countless law-abiding citizens in Connecticut and throughout the United States.”
Lawmakers in Colorado, New York, Connecticut and Maryland passed laws limiting firearm ownership after 20 children and six educators were shot to death Dec. 14 at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. Lawsuits challenging the new laws have also been filed in Colorado and New York.
“We’ve known for some time that groups opposed to the new gun violence prevention law would be filing suit against it,” Andrew Doba, a spokesman for Connecticut Governor Dannel P. Malloy, a Democrat, said in a statement yesterday. “We will work with the attorney general’s office to defend it. Let’s not forget that this has happened before. In prior instances where Connecticut has passed common sense restrictions on firearms, there have been challenges. They have all been unsuccessful.”
The case is Shew v. Malloy, U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut (Bridgeport).
To contact the reporter on this story: Chris Dolmetsch in New York State Supreme Court at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Michael Hytha at email@example.com