Bloomberg the Company & Products

Bloomberg Anywhere Login

Bloomberg

Connecting decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas, Bloomberg quickly and accurately delivers business and financial information, news and insight around the world.

Company

Financial Products

Enterprise Products

Media

Customer Support

  • Americas

    +1 212 318 2000

  • Europe, Middle East, & Africa

    +44 20 7330 7500

  • Asia Pacific

    +65 6212 1000

Communications

Industry Products

Media Services

Follow Us

Men’s Tennis Tour Bars Tomic’s Father Following Assault Charge

Don't Miss Out —
Follow us on:
Thomas Drouet
Tennis player Thomas Drouet of Monaco, training partner of Australian tennis player Bernard Tomic, leaves a court house bandaged and wearing a neck brace in Madrid on May 6, 2013. Photographer: Dominique Faget/AFP/Getty Images

May 8 (Bloomberg) -- John Tomic, the coach and father of top-ranked Australian tennis player Bernard Tomic, was barred from men’s tour events until further notice as he faces a charge of assaulting his son’s training partner.

John Tomic was charged with assault two days after allegedly injuring Thomas Drouet with a head butt on May 4 in a Madrid street. He has disputed the charge and a hearing was postponed to May 14, according to a statement released by a spokesman for Madrid’s criminal court.

“Following last week’s incident in Madrid concerning John Tomic, and the ensuing investigation, Mr. Tomic’s credential privileges have been suspended at all ATP tournaments until further notice,” the ATP said in an e-mailed statement. “The ATP’s investigation into this incident remains on-going.”

Frenchman Drouet, who sustained a broken nose in the incident, was cited by French sports newspaper L’Equipe yesterday as saying the elder Tomic was a “dangerous person” who should be banned from all tour events.

Tennis Australia, the sport’s national governing body, said today it’s working with the ATP to “ascertain the full facts of the incident while providing assistance and support to Bernard Tomic during this difficult time.”

The elder Tomic is a former taxi driver who is now coach of his 20-year-old son, according to the ATP website.

Bernard Tomic, who broke through for his first ATP title at January’s Sydney International, is ranked No. 53 on the ATP World Tour. He lost 6-3, 6-2 to Radek Stepanek in the first round of the Madrid Masters clay-court event three days ago.

To contact the reporter on this story: Dan Baynes in Sydney at dbaynes@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Christopher Elser at celser@bloomberg.net

Please upgrade your Browser

Your browser is out-of-date. Please download one of these excellent browsers:

Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera or Internet Explorer.