April 29 (Bloomberg) -- Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said today that Iran’s nuclear program has not yet crossed the “red line” he set last year as the threshold for risking an Israeli military strike.
“Iran is proceeding with its nuclear program,” Netanyahu said today at a meeting of his Likud parliamentary faction in Jerusalem. “It hasn’t yet crossed the red line I set down at the UN, but it it is systematically approaching it, and must not be allowed to cross it.” His remarks were broadcast on Israel’s Army Radio.
Netanyahu told the United Nations last September that Iran will have reached the final stage of its nuclear program when it is “only a few months, possibly a few weeks” from making enough highly enriched uranium to create atomic weapons. That would probably occur this spring or summer, he said.
Netanyahu has said a nuclear-armed Iran would pose a threat to his country’s survival and that “all options are on the table” to prevent that from happening, including a military attack.
Negotiations, together with diplomatic and economic sanctions placed on Iran by the U.S. and European Union, have failed to stop its uranium enrichment. The Iranian government says its nuclear program is intended solely for civilian purposes.
To contact the reporter on this story: Calev Ben-David in Jerusalem at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Andrew J. Barden at email@example.com