April 21 (Bloomberg) -- City officials told Boston residents and business owners still locked out of their homes and shops near the site of the Marathon bombing last week that they’re working to reopen the crime-scene area on Boylston Street within a few days.
“We’re hoping to give this community back to its people as quickly as possible” once the Federal Bureau of Investigation finishes gathering evidence, Police Commissioner Edward Davis said at a press conference today with Mayor Thomas Menino and other members of the administration.
Officials outlined a five-step plan, including cleanup of biological matter such as blood from the victims; assessment of the buildings for structural damage sustained in the bombings; and debris removal, according to John Guilfoil, a spokesman for Menino. The 12 city blocks originally cordoned off in the wake of the violence had been collapsed to four blocks by midweek, according to Boston police.
Insurance companies are being asked to speed claims processing and banks are cooperating by establishing lines of credit for those in need, according to Sheila Dillon, director of neighborhood development. About one hundred local lawyers have offered to provide pro bono legal work, she said.
Davis offered little new information on the status of the evidence-gathering at the race’s finish, except to say that agencies at the scene were cooperating.
“No turf issues, everything is being done properly with an idea toward justice for the victims,” he said. “I’m confident that they will put that bomb back together piece by piece.”
The closed Massachusetts Turnpike eastbound off-ramp into the area could reopen in a few days, Guilfoil said.
To contact the reporter on this story: Tom Moroney in Boston at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Larry Edelman at firstname.lastname@example.org