Mozambique’s main opposition party will meet government representatives tomorrow after its leader yesterday claimed responsibility for a series of attacks in which eight people died this month.
Representatives of the party met European Union diplomats today who expressed their concern, Simon Macuiana, a member of parliament for the opposition Mozambican National Resistance, or Renamo, said in an interview.
The EU diplomats said “they are worried about the incidents of the last few days and appealed for talks,” he said.
Three people were killed in an attack on a bus in the central district of Muxungue on April 6, while four members of Mozambique’s special police force and a militiaman loyal to Renamo died in clashes in the same area on April 4, according to the government.
Renamo, formerly backed by South Africa’s apartheid government, fought a 15-year civil war against the ruling Front for the Liberation of Mozambique, or Frelimo, that ended in 1992 with a peace agreement brokered by church groups. The party last year said it could resume the conflict and complained that elections in 2009, won by Frelimo, were unfair.
The police should withdraw from positions surrounding Renamo’s headquarters and release 15 militiamen detained last week, the movement’s leader, Afonso Dhlakama said yesterday.