Bloomberg Anywhere Remote Login Bloomberg Terminal Demo Request


Connecting decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas, Bloomberg quickly and accurately delivers business and financial information, news and insight around the world.


Financial Products

Enterprise Products


Customer Support

  • Americas

    +1 212 318 2000

  • Europe, Middle East, & Africa

    +44 20 7330 7500

  • Asia Pacific

    +65 6212 1000


Industry Products

Media Services

Follow Us

Taliban Bomb Attack on Provincial Court Kills 44, Wounds 91

Taliban Attack Wounds 60 People
Afghan forces are taking the lead in many security operations as U.S. forces exit a 12-year war with the Taliban. Photographer: Noorullah Shirzada/AFP/Getty Images

April 3 (Bloomberg) --At least 44 Afghans were killed in the biggest daily death toll this year as Taliban guerrillas attacked court facilities near the compound of a provincial governor following a suicide car bomb explosion.

Nine Taliban fighters armed with grenades, rocket launchers, Kalashnikov rifles and suicide vests carried out the assault, Abdul Rahman Zhowandai, a spokesman for Farah province, said in a phone interview. Eight insurgents managed to enter the court and attorney general’s office after a man “blew himself up” in a car near the provincial court’s entrance gate, Zhowandai said.

The dead included 10 Afghan security personnel, Zhowandai said. At least 91 people, including 20 members of Afghan security forces, were wounded, he said. A Taliban spokesman, Qari Yousef Ahmadi, claimed responsibility in a phone interview, saying members of the group were on trial in the court.

The battle, in a province that borders Iran, lasted eight hours. The dead and wounded included some government workers who had been taken hostage, Zhowandai said.

Afghan forces are taking lead in many security operations ahead of the withdrawal of U.S.-led international forces by the end of 2014.

“Taliban are still powerful and significantly supported militarily,” Jawid Kohestani, a Kabul-based political analyst, said in a phone interview today. “Taliban’s well-coordinated assault is giving the incentive for foreign troops to prolong their presence and not to leave Afghanistan by 2014 until the war ends completely.”

U.S. President Barack Obama has ordered the withdrawal of half of the roughly 68,000 American troops by next February. American officials have said the president is considering keeping 8,000 to 12,000 forces from the U.S. and NATO to support and train Afghans or play a limited role fighting terrorists if an agreement can be reached to secure their immunity from local prosecution.

To contact the reporter on this story: Eltaf Najafizada in Afghanistan at

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Peter Hirschberg at

Please upgrade your Browser

Your browser is out-of-date. Please download one of these excellent browsers:

Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera or Internet Explorer.