Move aimed at making platinum producers process the precious metal locally, Mines Minister Obert Mpofu tells reporters in capital, Harare.
- Semi-processed ore will attract more charges than refined ore, Mpofu says
- "We have become a source of cheap raw material and we need to improve on the value of our minerals, especially our precious minerals, and that should stop": Mpofu
- Minister didn’t disclose proposed new fees; country currently charges 10% royalty on platinum, according to ministry figures
- NOTE: Zimbabwe has world’s 2nd-biggest platinum reserves after South Africa
- NOTE: Impala Platinum, Anglo American Platinum, Aquarius