Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II has been admitted to a London hospital with symptoms of gastroenteritis, Buckingham Palace said.
The 86-year-old monarch, whose illness was first announced March 1, has canceled all official engagements for the coming week, including a planned two-day visit to Rome.
“The queen is being assessed at the King Edward VII’s Hospital, London, after experiencing symptoms of gastroenteritis,” the palace said in a statement. “As a precaution, all official engagements for this week will regrettably be either postponed or canceled.”
Yesterday, the palace had said the queen would spend the weekend resting at Windsor Castle after deciding not to attend a military celebration in Wales during the country’s St. David’s Day celebrations. Today, it was announced she had been admitted to hospital.
Gastroenteritis causes inflammation of the stomach lining and intestines. It can be transmitted through contact with an infected person or contaminated food and drink. Symptoms can include vomiting, fever and stomach ache.
An unidentified spokesman for the queen told the U.K.’s Press Association that she was in good spirits and was otherwise in good health.
She was last hospitalized 10 years ago for a minor knee operation, the British Broadcasting Corp. reported.