Feb. 7 (Bloomberg) -- The following is a roundup of soccer stories from U.K. newspapers, with clickable Internet links.
Zenit St. Petersburg wants to re-sign Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel this month, the Daily Mail said.
The 28-year-old joined the Premier League club from the Russian team in 2008, and Zenit is willing to pay 13 million pounds ($20 million) for the Slovakian, the newspaper said. The Russian transfer window doesn’t shut until Feb. 24, allowing Skrtel to return to the club where he spent three seasons, the Mail said.
Liverpool striker Luis Suarez raised doubts about his future at the club, saying that although he’s “content, for now,” he wants to play in the Champions League, the Daily Mirror said.
The Uruguayan said he’s happy in Liverpool but may reconsider after June when he knows whether the team has made Europe’s top club competition, saying the seventh-place club is “not the Liverpool of old,” the newspaper said. Only the top four teams in the Premier League get into the Champions League.
Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Juventus are interested in the 25-year-old, the Mirror said.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger will make a postseason move for Toulouse holding midfielder Etienne Capoue, the Daily Telegraph said.
The north London club tried to sign the player last month without success, but will return after the season as Wenger tries to replace Alex Song, who moved to Barcelona, the newspaper said.
Arsenal will have about 70 million pounds to spend after the season even if the club, currently in sixth place, fails to reach the Champions League and misses out on 35 million pounds in revenue from the competition, the Telegraph said.
Crystal Palace may move for West Brom forward Peter Odemwingie, whose transfer-deadline day attempt to join Queens Park Rangers left him estranged from his club and teammates, the Telegraph said.
Palace manager Ian Holloway will try to bring in the 31-year-old in on loan, the newspaper said. Odemwingie is facing a 70,000 pound fine for trying to negotiate a move to QPR without West Brom’s permission and will get a hostile reception from teammates and fans, the newspaper said.
Chelsea and Manchester United are watching Santos forward Neilton, who has been dubbed the “New Neymar” after his hat trick in an under-19 match in Brazil, the Daily Mirror said.
Chelsea is considering meeting his 5-million pound buyout clause to capture him before Santos can re-negotiate the pact, the newspaper said. Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich looks to have lost the chase for the real Neymar, a 21-year-old Santos striker who has been linked to a move to Barcelona, the Mirror said.
To contact the reporter on this story: Christopher Elser at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Christopher Elser at firstname.lastname@example.org