Bloomberg Anywhere Login

Bloomberg

Connecting decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas, Bloomberg quickly and accurately delivers business and financial information, news and insight around the world.

Company

Financial Products

Enterprise Products

Media

Customer Support

  • Americas

    +1 212 318 2000

  • Europe, Middle East, & Africa

    +44 20 7330 7500

  • Asia Pacific

    +65 6212 1000

Communications

Industry Products

Media Services

Follow Us

Boeing Sues Yuzhnoye, Energia Over Sea Launch Reimbursements

Feb. 4 (Bloomberg) -- Boeing Co. sued Ukraine’s Yuzhnoye SDO and Russia’s S.P. Korolev Rocket and Space Corp. Energia, alleging they owe $350 million in reimbursements for Boeing’s investments in their failed Sea Launch Co. joint venture.

The two companies breached a contractual commitment to pay, if Sea Launch failed, their fair share of the funding Boeing Commercial Space Co. provided to create and operate the venture they set up in 1995 to launch commercial satellites from an ocean-based platform, according to a complaint filed Feb. 1 in federal court in Los Angeles.

“Yuzhnoye and Energia owe Boeing and BCSC more than $350 million, with interest continuing to accrue daily,” Chicago-based Boeing said. “Instead of paying claims to which they have no defense on the merits, Yuzhnoye and Energia have decided to stall and evade, forcing plaintiffs to chase them around the world to secure payment of debts clearly owed.”

Sea Launch filed for Chapter 11 reorganization in June 2009 to stop attempts by Hughes Network Systems LLC to collect a $52 million arbitration award made in connection with a canceled contract following a failed launching in 2007.

In 2010, Energia Overseas Ltd, a unit of Moscow-based Energia, acquired a 95 percent stake in the reorganized company, Sea Launch AG, which is now based in Bern, Switzerland. Boeing and Norway’s Aker ASA own the remaining 5 percent, according to the Sea Launch website.

Command Ship

Sea Launch uses a launch platform and command ship based in Long Beach, California, that travel across the Pacific Ocean to the equator from where commercial communications satellites are launched into space.

Peter Stier, a spokesman for Sea Launch in Long Beach, didn’t immediately return a call for comment on the lawsuit. Representatives of Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine-based Yuzhnoye didn’t immediately respond to an e-mailed request for comment on the allegations.

The case is Boeing v. Yuzhnoye, 13-00730, U.S. District Court, Central District of California (Los Angeles.)

To contact the reporter on this story: Edvard Pettersson in Los Angeles at epettersson@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Michael Hytha at mhytha@bloomberg.net

Please upgrade your Browser

Your browser is out-of-date. Please download one of these excellent browsers:

Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera or Internet Explorer.