Dominique Strauss-Kahn may pay the maid who accused him of attempted rape $6 million to resolve her civil lawsuit, Le Monde said today, citing unnamed people close to the former head of the International Monetary Fund.
Strauss-Kahn “vigorously denies the fantastical and erroneous information in Le Monde,” his French lawyers Frederique Baulieu, Richard Malka and Henri Leclerc said today in an e-mailed statement. They didn’t elaborate on what was mistaken, and declined to comment on the U.S. case.
Strauss-Kahn will need to borrow $3 million from his wife, Anne Sinclair, and the rest from a bank, according to the French daily. Strauss-Kahn and Sinclair, editor of the French version of the Huffington Post, separated earlier this year.
Strauss-Kahn, 63, was pulled off an Air France flight at John F. Kennedy International Airport on May 14, 2011, arrested and charged with trying to rape Nafissatou Diallo at the Sofitel in midtown Manhattan. Diallo filed a civil lawsuit against Strauss-Kahn in the Bronx in August 2011, weeks before Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. dropped the criminal charges against the former IMF chief, after concluding Diallo had lied about events surrounding the alleged attack.
The settlement was largely concluded in late summer, during multiple trips by Strauss-Kahn to New York, according to Le Monde.
Lawyers for Diallo in New York and Paris didn’t immediately respond to messages seeking comment on the reports of the settlement. Marina Ein, a spokeswoman for his U.S. attorneys in the case, William Taylor III and Amit Mehta, didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.
The New York Times reported the settlement earlier, citing unidentified people with knowledge of the matter. The parties are scheduled to appear before New York State Supreme Court Justice Douglas E. McKeon in the Bronx, who is overseeing the case, on Dec. 7 to finalize the accord, the Times said.
The case is Diallo v. Strauss-Kahn, 11-307065, New York State Supreme Court (Bronx County).