Nov. 16 (Bloomberg) -- London police investigating bribery at News Corp.’s best-selling Sun tabloid and other titles gave files of evidence on seven suspects to British prosecutors who will consider filing criminal charges.
The evidence, sent to the Crown Prosecution Service, relates to three public officials and four journalists, said Sue Akers, the Metropolitan Police Service officer leading the probe. Akers described the files in an Oct. 31 statement posted today on the website of a judge-led inquiry into media ethics triggered by widespread wrongdoing at News Corp. titles.
The New York-based company has given evidence to police as it seeks to manage the bribery probe and a related phone-hacking investigation that led to the closure of its News of the World tabloid last year. The first criminal charges in the bribery case were filed in September, when April Casburn, a Metropolitan Police detective chief inspector, was charged with offering to sell information to the newspaper.
Police have made 52 arrests in the bribery investigation, called Operation Elveden, including a former Ministry of Defence employee and a member of the armed forces detained Oct. 23. Akers said files of evidence are being prepared on the remaining suspects and will be given to prosecutors “in due course.”
To contact the reporter on this story: Erik Larson in London at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Anthony Aarons at email@example.com