Russia’s Altai region in West Siberia has had an anthrax outbreak, said the country’s food safety watchdog, known as Rosselkhoznadzor.
A man was diagnosed with anthrax after slaughtering a cow in the village of Bystry Istok in mid-October, Rosselkhoznadzor said in an e-mailed statement today. The cow might have been infected with anthrax spores at a local pasture, the service said. No other animals or people in the area have infection symptoms yet. The last anthrax case in the village area was in 1964, Rosselkhoznadzor said.
The anthrax bacteria, known as Bacillus anthracis, occurs most commonly in cattle, sheep and goats and can be lethal for people, according to the U.S. National Library of Medicine’s website. The bacteria can cause skin and lung infections.