Oct. 25 (Bloomberg) -- An accident at the 72.9 billion yuan ($11.7 billion) bridge project linking Hong Kong to China and Macau killed one worker and injured 14 others.
The workers were hurt after a platform fell at a construction site on an artificial island, Peter Lau, director of highways, said on Cable Television. Work at the site will be halted for an investigation, Lau said.
A China Communications Construction Co. unit is listed as the contractor reclaiming an artificial island as part of the bridge project, according to information on the website of the city’s Highways Department. The 35.6-kilometer (22 mile) bridge was one of the 10 major infrastructure projects started by the city’s former Chief Executive Donald Tsang, who wanted to speed travel in the Pearl River Delta and increase physical links with the mainland.
China Communications Construction “will cooperate with the Hong Kong government in any investigation,” Wonderful Sky Financial Group Holdings Ltd., which handles media relations for the company, said in an e-mail today. “Whether work would need to be stopped would depend on the result of any investigation. As the project has only just started, this won’t have a big impact on the company.”
Work on the bridge was last year halted after a 66- year-old woman brought a lawsuit against the government over the project’s environmental impact. The cost of the project is shared with Macau, the only place in China where casinos are legal, and the nation’s Guangdong province.
The accident followed Hong Kong’s most deadly maritime disaster last month, when a collision between two boats off the city’s coast left at least 39 people dead.
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Hwee Ann Tan at firstname.lastname@example.org