Oct. 24 (Bloomberg) -- Britain’s Crown Prosecution Service is reviewing its decision in 2009 to drop an investigation into sex-abuse claims against former British Broadcasting Corp. star Jimmy Savile, who died last year at the age of 84.
Documents from four cases stemming from a police probe in Surrey, England, will be examined by the CPS’s principal legal adviser “out of an abundance of caution,” Keir Starmer, who heads the agency, said in a statement today. A regional prosecutor, Roger Coe-Salazar, has already reviewed the papers, Starmer said.
“He has assured me that the decisions taken at the time were the right decisions based on the information and evidence then available,” Starmer said. The prosecution was abandoned because the alleged victims didn’t want to support the case, he said.
Police are investigating claims dating back as far as 1959 through 2006, including those that Savile, who hosted popular BBC shows “Top of the Pops” and “Jim’ll Fix It,” and other unidentified people abused about 200 people. The claims are putting pressure on the BBC, the world’s largest public broadcaster, and other institutions who appointed the entertainer to programs and positions that dealt with children.
To contact the reporter on this story: Erik Larson in London at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Anthony Aarons at firstname.lastname@example.org