A full National Hockey League season is in jeopardy because there are unlikely to be talks this week between team owners and the players’ union on a new labor contract, Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said.
When Commissioner Gary Bettman offered to split revenue 50-50 with the players last week, he said the union would have to approve the plan by tomorrow to schedule a full season with the Stanley Cup Playoffs in June.
The union, which made three counteroffers that were rejected by the NHL on Oct. 18, tried to resume discussions yesterday on a new collective bargaining agreement.
“The union has rejected the proposal we made last Tuesday and is not offering another one,” Daly said, according to the Associated Press. “We see nothing to be gained at this point by meeting just to meet.”
Daly has said throughout negotiations that the union has tended to avoid the topics at the center of the dispute, including revenue sharing and players’ salaries.
The old labor agreement expired Sept. 15. The following day, the league imposed a lockout which led to the cancellation of the preseason and regular-season games through Nov. 1.
The league may announce additional cancellations by the end of the week if there is no progress in negotiations, the Washington Post reported.