Kazakh security forces killed nine people suspected of planning terror attacks in a shootout in the Almaty region, the Prosecutor General’s Office said.
The suspects opened fire after refusing to surrender to a special-forces unit that located them in the countryside, the Astana-based prosecutor’s office said today in a statement. One officer was wounded in the attack.
Kazakh security forces suspect the extremists were involved in a bomb blast in the Almaty region in July 11. The authorities are identifying the bodies, according to the statement.
President Nursultan Nazarbayev last month said the population of Kazakhstan, the second-largest former Soviet republic, is growing “angry” at law enforcement for failing to keep extremists in check.
“Radical elements are exerting severe pressure on the state and society as a whole,” Nazarbayev said.