Boston Red Sox pitcher Clay Buchholz was released from a Boston hospital after treatment for esophagitis, which had caused internal bleeding.
Buchholz, who pitched a no-hitter in his second Major League Baseball start in 2007, had been placed on the 15-day disabled. He was admitted to Massachusetts General Hospital yesterday and released around midnight, Pam Ganley, a spokeswoman for the team, said in an e-mail.
The Red Sox didn’t give a timetable for Buchholz’s return to the mound.
The illness “led to an erosion of the esophagus and an associated gastrointestinal bleed,” the Red Sox said yesterday in a statement.
Esophagitis is inflammation that damages tissues of the esophagus, the muscular tube that delivers food from the mouth to the stomach, according to the Rochester, Minnesota-based Mayo Clinic’s website. The affliction causes chest pain and makes swallowing difficult and painful.
“It’s relatively easy to treat with a combination of acid suppression and sometimes medication to coat the esophagus,” Christopher DiMaio, director of Therapeutic Endoscopy at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York, said in a telephone interview. “Overall, his prognosis is going to be very good.”
If there are no underlying issues such as infectious causes, and if Buchholz didn’t lose so much blood that he needed a transfusion, his return to baseball would be quick, said DiMaio, who is not treating Buchholz.
“Recovering from all of this, a young healthy guy like him, probably a week’s time is enough to recover,” DiMaio said.
Buchholz, 27, is 8-2 with a 5.53 earned run average in 14 starts this season for the Red Sox, who are 39-35. He hasn’t pitched since June 19 against the Miami Marlins, having been placed on the disabled list five days later with a stomach ailment. In four starts this month, Buchholz was 4-0 with a 2.40 ERA and 25 strikeouts in 30 innings.
Buchholz threw a no-hitter on Sept. 1, 2007, against the Baltimore Orioles.